Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Small engine repair advice

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:23:58 -0500, Zootal
wrote:

My daughter took pics of the entire operation:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2011/...xes_lawnmower/

So, yeah, not only did it shear, the flywheel turned almost 180! A quick
trip to Ace Hardware, $2.99 buys a 5-pack of flywheel keys that "fit all
B&S engines". Had to use a wheel puller on the flywheel - it was very
tight. Did a bit of cleaning while I was there. Put it together. Close
manual choke, one lazy pull on starter cord, and it fires right up.

So thanks to everyone here - I had not idea the flywheel would shear the
key and turn, I was thinking I was going to have tear motor down and good
luck finding parts for it.

Did you clean that surface rust off the flywheel magnets? Clean the
magneto contacts and adjust the gap?

I always do so while the flywheel is off, if the engine has a magneto.
Anyway, glad things worked out well for you.