Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gray water leachfield

On 31 Jul 2011 11:51:01 GMT, Han wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

I was at a cloned box auto parts store a while back and saw a notice
posted about how the store was now accepting waste motor oil for
disposal. I asked a store employee about it and he handed a huge
sheaf of government and EPA documents that had to be filled out in
order for the store to accept my waste motor oil. I remembered what
happened to a large group of people who took their old car batteries
to a lead recycling company that went out of business. The government
took the records consisting of the paperwork filled out by the
customers of the defunct company who thought they were doing a good
thing for the environment and demanded that those people pay for the
cleanup of the hazardous waste at the site of the closed company. I
changed my mind about taking my used motor oil to the auto parts
store and found a friendly manager at an oil change service who took
my old oil without any hassle.

TDD

I bought a house. Included was about 50 gallons of waste oil, 5 gal.
buckets of roofing butyl, and assorted 5 gal. buckets of gook. I took
the oil to the box store that sells auto parts. Have to have a
receipt that says you bought 5 gal. of oil THERE in order to turn in
the 5 gal. of used oil. Called JiffyLube. No can do. Called the
landfill. They have an "amnesty" day ONCE A YEAR where they will take
anything no questions asked. The next one is this spring.

And they wonder why people take this crud and dump it in the desert.

Steve

You should have called the real estate agent who handled the sell. That
house was not delivered in the "broom clean" state it was supposed to.

It should have been in the sales contract. The hazmat stuff should have been
identified, in particular.