Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default A question for plumbers

aemeijers wrote in
:

On 7/28/2011 11:22 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:39:05 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 23:43:21 +0000 (UTC), "A.
wrote:

Any person who can follow simple instructions can change their own
seal.

Unless the person has a physical conditions that prevents it.

Most anyone who can **** in a toilet can change the seal.

Speaking of ****, yer full of it. 1/3 of this country is obese, which
often includes a reduced ability to lift things, especially in small
spaces, not to mention many people can't see well enough to do the
close work of fussing with the bolts, assuming they can even get down
on the floor to get to them, and get back up. Add in the common
complication of the shutoff valve being frozen or rotted, and the
downside gets big fast.

Don't forget the extended time it takes to find an oblong wax ring if you
ave an oblong toilet.

So, yes, anyone who is in halfway-decent shape
and HAS SEEN IT DONE BEFORE can R and R a toilet. But if someone is
not a regular tool user, or doesn't even own the tools, and the house
is over 20 years old, I always recommend they get a plumber. I do tell
them to watch and learn, though. If the house only has one bathroom,
and there is a SWMBO and rug-rats involved, I strongly recommend a
plumber- there is no postponing things when the family needs to pee.
And Murphy being Murphy, even if you start early on Sat when the Borg
is open, there will be unexpected complications. Any real plumber will
have the 20 most common parts on his truck.