Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Insulation: Air vs. fibreglass, styrofoam, etc.

RicodJour wrote:

On Jul 28, 12:33 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:05:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Terry wrote:

You'll want to check the numbers if using asphalt shingles. We are
considering a re-shingle job, and found that "white" shingles aren't
hugely better than black in reflectivity (they are slighly better,
though). A shiny metal roof might be very different, I dunno.

Some places are difficult to get insurance if you have a metal roof
on your home.

Where? Why? I would think it would lower the insurance. Lasts
longer, more durable, and more resistant to fire.

Florida. High winds. Harder to put out a house fire, since you can't
walk on it and cut holes to ventilate the building.

There are a number of metal roofing systems that have been approved by
Dade County for high winds, and if it's good enough for Dade, it's
good enough for your application.

Impact resistance might be an insurance consideration for hail damage,
but there are metal roofing systems that have that...errr...covered as
well:
http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/home/roofingx.html

I know of no fire rating criteria that requires a building envelope
component to be easily compromised to improve firefighting access. If
you could provide a citation, that would be grand.

My dad had a house in Lake County and couldn't get insurance because
of the metal roof. They all told him to replace it with a shingle roof,
or they couldn't insure him. Of course, Dade county approves of all
kinds of construction that other places won't accept. I know people who
left there after Andrew. Houses less than two years old were badly
damaged, yet passed al hurricane rated inspections. Afterwards, he
damage revealed all kinds of substandard work. Curiously, all the
inspectors involved had 'retired' and couldn't be located.