Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Small engine repair advice

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:10:03 -0500, Zootal
wrote:

Almost definite diagnosis - sheared key. A couple of bucks and half
an hour's work for a half-handy guy with a few tools

So the general consensus is a sheared key - where is this sheared key that
it can be fixed in a half hour? I thought I'd have to take the engine apart
to get to it? I worked as a mechanic, but I retired my tools in 1984, and
haven't been into a lawn mower engine since the early 1970's...(yeah, I
know, I'm dating myself....)...

Under the flywheel. The key sits in a keyway on the shaft. Ensure
you get the proper size or it may fail again. Even if it looks good,
replace it. A small fracture (without complete failure) can still
throw the timing off. I use a tad of bearing grease in the keyway to
hold the new key in place when seating the flywheel. When done
correctly is "just feels right" and seats easily.

Do not damage the flywheel when pulling it off as it is a light metal
and can be warped or bent..

Put your information in the B&S site.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/support/

A local mower repair shop ought to have what you need.

Let us know if the shear key is the problem, but it is my guess.