Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small engine repair advice

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:10:03 -0500, Zootal
wrote:

Almost definite diagnosis - sheared key. A couple of bucks and half
an hour's work for a half-handy guy with a few tools

So the general consensus is a sheared key - where is this sheared key that
it can be fixed in a half hour? I thought I'd have to take the engine apart
to get to it? I worked as a mechanic, but I retired my tools in 1984, and
haven't been into a lawn mower engine since the early 1970's...(yeah, I
know, I'm dating myself....)...

You pull off the top tin- a 5 minute job for an ex-mechanic with his
eyes closed, and remove the flywheel. The key is right there between
the tapered shaft and the flywheel. An ex-mechanic knows how to remove
the flywheel in about 2 minutes - including finding the hammer.
Puting it back together is the reverse - without needing the hammer.