Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Insulation: Air vs. fibreglass, styrofoam, etc.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:09:34 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:43:32 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

rangerssuck wrote:

A reflective roof would make a huge difference. I don't understand
the fascination with black (or othr dark color) roofing shingles.

Drive around your neighborhood or town. Do you see ANY light-colored
roofs?

I see them. In fact, I used to have one (shingled the 2-1/2 car
garage myself). I guess it depends on where you live, but worse than
mung from the air is mold. It *really* shows up on light shingles.

Ah, of course you're right. I'm in a metropolitan area - lot's of cars,
busses, trucks, heavy industry, and chickens driving Cadillacs to
Washington, D.C.

I was living in NY (~70mi North of NYC) at the time. There aren't any white
roofs down here but I suspect it's because of the red clay.