Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?

On 7/28/2011 1:52 PM, kansascats wrote:
Does anyone just fac the intake side of these filters and keep using
for another few months?

I'm sure there will be as many opinions on this as there is people
responding. I have been vacuuming my pleated filters. I do have a dog
that brings in much orange soil (NC) and that vacuums out pretty easily.
I do have a auto bypass unit on the furnace which would show if the
back pressure increases and it hasn't. The by pass was put there
because there are multiple zones. If only a small zone calls for AC or
heat, the by pass would allow some of the cooled or heated air to return
to the intake plenum thus cutting down on the back pressure. So, I
guess I'm saying yes. But don't get crazy and keep them for 40 years.
I would like to buy some of the washable filters, like the ones from
BoAir and others, but haven't done it yet.