Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Replace DVD drive/deck/player in consumer devices?

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 11:59:22 -0700 (PDT), pol098
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Is there any likelihood of successfully replacing a faulty DVD drive/
deck in, say, a DVD player or recorder or AV receiver with DVD, with
some other type (in particular, a computer drive)?

I have done this with LG DVD recorders using LG's PC IDE drives. I've
also had similar success with less well known brands (eg one sold by
Aldi).

Some drives have a miniature IDE connector that accepts a flex lead,
but the pinout is still the same 40-pin IDE standard.

Don't be tempted to operate the buttons on the drive itself as these
will only confuse the controller.

- Franc Zabkar