Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Difference in NiCad replacement batteries

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
Puddin' Man Pudding Dot Man At Gmail Dot Com wrote:

Looks like a AA, Amazon has specs at 600mAh and 1.2V.

What is the best and most-long-lived battery I can buy for such a unit? I
assume there are some differences judging from the price range ($4 to

$15).

I recently bought a 2-AA-cell pack for this purpose from Mouser...
part number 6396-1K-F2 / CM1T-AA1000. It uses 1000 mAh NiCd cells,
and cost $5.95 plus shipping.

You could easily get more than twice that capacity by using NiMH cells
or a pack thereof, but if the charge-control circuit in the shaver is
designed for NiCd it might not work all that well with NiMH (might
over- or under-charge the battery, shorten its life, etc.).

Probably not. The Norelco "charger" is probably little more than a resistor
in series with the power supply. A NiMH should have no trouble with that.

Why not get some NiMH cells with tabs from Thomas Distributing? The ones I
used in my Polaroid #365 electronic flash work fine, and the #363 rapid
charger -- designed for nicads -- shuts off properly.