Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] news@jecarter.us is offline

Default American 3 pin mains plug and socket

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 17:45:14 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote in message
. 44...
Jeffrey Angus wrote in
:

On 8/5/2011 10:06 AM, N_Cook wrote:
While at it, are the holes in each flat pin , for anti-tugging latch
pins ?

I should have said I am in the UK
Now you say that I've seen a plug with a U channel ground pin ,somewhere
along the way. I could see that arrangement maybe giving some sort of
sprung/ tolerating fit. But how does a cylindrical brass pin make good
contact with an unsprung receptacle pin ?

All the outlets I've checked have some type of spring material on all
the contacts. Some are better made than others (a receptacle with a
brand I recognize versus a $1 nameless duplex receptacle at WalMart).
I spent a bit more for the 20 amp receptacle that sees use with a
table saw and a small wirefeed welder. The saw can hit 20 amps at
startup and the welder can run near 20 amps continuously, but I rarely
have the arc going for more than a 30 seconds at a time - I'm not
building bridges, just welding small things such as a hanger for a
garden hose or repairing a metal stand for a bird feeder.

John