Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default American 3 pin mains plug and socket

N_Cook wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote in message
4...
Jeffrey Angus wrote in
:

On 8/5/2011 10:06 AM, N_Cook wrote:
While at it, are the holes in each flat pin , for anti-tugging latch
pins ?
That's to make it easier to connect solid wire from the outlet box
directly to the plugs when you're too cheap to buy a new receptacle.

Jeff

IIRC,a new receptacle costs less than $1 at Wal-Mart.

BTW,I've seen a lot of US power plugs with ground pins that are folded
sheet brass that has the half-round/half-square,or U-shape cross-
section,with a bevel at the end. Maybe cheaper to make than a solid round
pin?

the holes in the flat blades are probably a leftover originally intended
for some sort of detent (ball detent?)to help retain the plug.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I should have said I am in the UK
Now you say that I've seen a plug with a U channel ground pin ,somewhere
along the way. I could see that arrangement maybe giving some sort of
sprung/ tolerating fit. But how does a cylindrical brass pin make good
contact with an unsprung receptacle pin ?

The internal split wiper pairs of the AC socket are under some tension,
to make a good electrical contact, this holds for the ground pin as well.

As for the holes in the flat pins, I can't find a reference easily but
believe that they are for dimples in earlier sockets that are no longer
present. It could also be that dimples exist in ceiling outlets
only...you can do some hunting and report back!

John :-#)#

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com