Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default American 3 pin mains plug and socket

Jim Yanik wrote in message
4...
Jeffrey Angus wrote in
:

On 8/5/2011 10:06 AM, N_Cook wrote:
While at it, are the holes in each flat pin , for anti-tugging latch
pins ?

That's to make it easier to connect solid wire from the outlet box
directly to the plugs when you're too cheap to buy a new receptacle.

Jeff

IIRC,a new receptacle costs less than $1 at Wal-Mart.

BTW,I've seen a lot of US power plugs with ground pins that are folded
sheet brass that has the half-round/half-square,or U-shape cross-
section,with a bevel at the end. Maybe cheaper to make than a solid round
pin?

the holes in the flat blades are probably a leftover originally intended
for some sort of detent (ball detent?)to help retain the plug.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I should have said I am in the UK
Now you say that I've seen a plug with a U channel ground pin ,somewhere
along the way. I could see that arrangement maybe giving some sort of
sprung/ tolerating fit. But how does a cylindrical brass pin make good
contact with an unsprung receptacle pin ?