Posted to sci.electronics.repair
pol098 pol098 is offline

Default Replace DVD drive/deck/player in consumer devices?

Is there any likelihood of successfully replacing a faulty DVD drive/
deck in, say, a DVD player or recorder or AV receiver with DVD, with
some other type (in particular, a computer drive)? I have heard of
people who've successfully used a computer CDROM drive for audio use,
but not as a replacement for an existing drive. I'd expect not, except
for equipment which uses the identical same deck (very difficult to
find out), but thought I'd ask the question. I'm pretty sure of the
answer (no), but it would be nice to be wrong... In particular, it
would be useful to find a replacement DVD deck for a Toshiba D-VR3
(AK97-00570A BY630399, DP-R1), but not worth more than small money.
Please don't email, address doesn't work any more.