Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default Shining Aluminum

On 8/8/2011 1:47 AM, Steve W. wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I'm redoing my boat. It's aluminum hull, painted. The gunwales are
unpainted aluminum, and discolored by stain, oily handprints, and
oxidation. What is a good product/way to shine them up, and what's a
good product to protect them and keep them shiny without a lot of
maintenance labor?

Steve

Find a truck stop where they do truck washing/detailing. Grab some of
the stuff they use to "acid wash" the tanks and chrome. It will clean
off most of the crud that normal cleaners wont touch. Next get a cheap
RA buffer and a couple tubs of Mothers Mag and aluminum polish. Wear
clothes that you don't ever plan on keeping. Take the buffer and polish
and go to town on the hull. Mothers will polish the aluminum up to a
mirror.

I just purchased some of this clear finish ,I use it as final clear coat
on my homemade fishing lures .
Single pack moisture cureing polyurethane ,goes rock hard and impossible
to remove after a week or two .

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/diamondf...rcoat-info.htm

It's not cheap at 90.00 AUD per litre , but a litre will last me for a
very long time. I thin it 20% with the recomended thinners and spray it
through an air brush ,the finish is as clear as new glass.

--
Kevin (Bluey)