Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Test Li Ion Batteries?

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:24:20 -0700 (PDT), KenO
wrote:

"I have a few of those in the office. *After 15 years, most are dead
or fairly close to dead."

Have you opened any of your dead packs? If yes, any tips?

Nope. I haven't opened them. I keep a few on hand because some of
the early Toshiblah laptops would not run on charger power unless a
battery (dead or otherwise) was installed. I'll look at it to see how
it comes apart, but I don't want to wreck them.

Am wondering if a cyanoacrylate was the adhesive? Have you tried a
debonder before opening packs?
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...B 4XBZ0P1DBgl

Dunno. If it was cyanoacrylate, it will be brittle. Beat on the seam
with a stiff putty knife and you'll crack the glue joint. That works
on some other battery packs I've broken open.

Light reading on killing batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

--
Jeff Liebermann