Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb[_3_] Dr. Deb[_3_] is offline

Default Spindle height

Gerald is right, you need to raise your lathe to where the spindle is at the
point of your elbow when your arm is bent. As Gerald also said, welcome to
woodturning - do yourself a huge favor and find a woodturning group to be a
part of. Mine is 100 miles away, but the monthly drive is well worth it.

Deb

Artemus wrote:

This is my first post here. I've haunted rec.woodworking for years
though.
I have a cheap lathe I'm learning to use. I have several books from
the library which are a big help but none mention the correct height
for the spindle. From the pictures it appears that somewhere around
elbow height is right? Mine is about 6" below my elbow.
Am I worrying about nothing or should I raise the lathe?
Thanks.
Art