Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Spindle height

Artemus wrote:
This is my first post here. I've haunted rec.woodworking for years
though.
I have a cheap lathe I'm learning to use. I have several books from
the library which are a big help but none mention the correct height
for the spindle. From the pictures it appears that somewhere around
elbow height is right? Mine is about 6" below my elbow.
Am I worrying about nothing or should I raise the lathe?
Thanks.
Art

Just went out and checked--mine is exactly tip of elbow height when
my elbow is flexed. It was initially a little low and I screwed the
legs to two 2 x 4's (going front to back) then glued the 2 by's to the
concrete floor using silicone caulk. It can still flex some with large
unbalanced loads but does not walk across the floor.

You might try two 4 x 4's instead and see how it feels. If you turn
stooped over it is more tiring.

Welcome to woodturning.

--
Gerald Ross