Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default AC in shop (was A Prognostication)

On 8/4/2011 12:29 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in news:V-

I simply do not have rust problems in this hot, humid climate by
constantly keeping the interior shop and at the same temperature and RH
as outside.

I see. Is that opening the door to pass through, or leaving it open to
move something in/out?

Opening an entry door briefly is not a problem, opening an overhead door
effectively removes most of one entire wall from the enclosure. Most
shops I've been associated with have big doors that are constantly
needing to be opened to move things in and out.

As far as rust goes, you're in kinda a harsh environment aren't you?

In the construction business it is known as a "Hot, Humid Climate", with
building techniques appropriate to that environment taken into account
by most builders ... well, some, anyway.

I could see acclimation and wood movement being an issue, even if just
moving from the shop to the house. (Especially in 100F heat.)

Temperature has infinitesimal effect on wood movement, if any...
relative humidity and reaching the resultant moisture content
equilibrium, everything.

Anyone in the midwest have AC in their shop? Any problems?

In a less humid climate, the problem would not be as obvious, to
non-existent.

That said, were I to live in that type of environment, I still would
prefer to not have air conditioning in my wood shop.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010