Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default AC in shop (was A Prognostication)

On 8/4/2011 11:42 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/4/2011 8:49 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

They are choices made with eyes wide open, C-Less. I'm quite capable
of installing air conditioning in any building myself, except ...

I do NOT like air conditioning in a wood shop. It causes more problems
than it solves.

What kinds of problems?

Biggest problem is rust. Open a door and let in hot moist air into an
air conditioned shop, where the metal surfaces are 20 degrees cooler,
and bingo ... a red patina of rust on everything within hours.

Do you have your tools coated with something like topcote? My shop used
to be in a basement that would get an inch of water in it anytime it
rained. Rust was a non-issue once I found the 3M product no longer
available but appears to be the same as topcote. I never got a drop of
rust after coating with the 3M stuff. Don't know if Topcote is as good,
no way to test it as conditions now dry, but it seems to be the same
product.

Today, my house is air conditioned, but garage shop is not, but is
attached. The cold air naturally migrates down to the shop, so it's
cooler but not 20° cooler. My living quarters seem quite dry and doors
are opened and closed routinely. In fact, air conditioning takes out
tons of moisture. I've never seen condensation in the summer. In the
winter, different story. Moisture condenses out and is sometimes
visible on windows and such when it gets down to zero or below.

Also, I like to keep my stock at a moisture content corresponding to the
RH of the region. It comes that way from the supplier, and stays that
way throughout fabrication. This causes fewer problems when acclimating
it to an interior installation in the region.

That makes sense except what if your stuff will be in air conditioned
home? If your shop is 100*° and humid, and the cabinets are installed
in 72° dry, air conditioned house, then what?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com