Posted to rec.woodworking

Default AC in shop (was A Prognostication)

Swingman wrote in news:V-
:

On 8/4/2011 8:49 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

They are choices made with eyes wide open, C-Less. I'm quite capable
of installing air conditioning in any building myself, except ...

I do NOT like air conditioning in a wood shop. It causes more

problems
than it solves.

What kinds of problems?

Biggest problem is rust. Open a door and let in hot moist air into an
air conditioned shop, where the metal surfaces are 20 degrees cooler,
and bingo ... a red patina of rust on everything within hours.

I simply do not have rust problems in this hot, humid climate by
constantly keeping the interior shop and at the same temperature and RH
as outside.

I see. Is that opening the door to pass through, or leaving it open to
move something in/out?

As far as rust goes, you're in kinda a harsh environment aren't you?

About once a year, in the spring, when fog becomes an issue in the

early
mornings in this area due to the dew point, I do cover the machines

with
a breathable cloth made for the purpose, because the same thing will
happen when introducing outside air into a shop that has been closed
overnight.

Also, I like to keep my stock at a moisture content corresponding to

the
RH of the region. It comes that way from the supplier, and stays that
way throughout fabrication. This causes fewer problems when acclimating
it to an interior installation in the region.

I could see acclimation and wood movement being an issue, even if just
moving from the shop to the house. (Especially in 100F heat.)

Anyone in the midwest have AC in their shop? Any problems?

Puckdropper