Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Prognostication

On 03 Aug 2011 16:42:36 GMT, Han wrote:

Jack Stein wrote in :

snipped

Jack, we agree (I think) that confiscatory taxes are a no-no, that tax
simplification and elimination of loopholes and crazy "shelters" woukld be
good, and, moreover, that we should spend as we generate income (as
governments). Now, then we should have a really good set of REALLY wise
men and women sit down and figure out how to get to a zero deficit.

I am sure that will need to include revenue enhancement, since abolishing
Medicare/Aid or the Pentagon is not to the country's best interests.
Agriculture give-aways, perhaps eliminating those would be good, etc, etc.

Pick an alphabet agency. See how its functions are duplicated
elsewhere in gov't? Let's abolish all the duplications and worthless
agencies. That should cut the gov't by, oh, about 75%, reducing the
need for large taxes and eliminating the deficit at once. Leave the
tax rate the same to pay off the national debt more quickly, but move
to a flat rate. End the policy of giving away money to other countries
until we pay off the debt entirely. Instead, send advisors, as China
is doing, to many people's pleasure.

Turning the countries of Iraq and Afghanistan back over to their own
people would be nice, too. Wars are expensive. Especially wars which
don't accomplish a damned thing, let alone the establishment of a
democratic gov't there. Grrrr...

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.