Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning rust off Stanley #15 plane

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:08:34 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 7/30/11 11:40 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:34:51 -0400, Jack Stein wrote:

I bought Evaporust on recommendations from people here. I can't imagine
anyone recommending the stuff. It takes forever to touch even light
rust.
For light rust WD40 and steel wool should work For heavy rust, I've
found nothing that touches Naval Jelly. That stuff works fast and
removes all rust fast with no damage to the metal other than damage the
rust may have already done.

Another possibility. I've had pretty good luck with a solution of salt
in vinegar. Just keep adding salt till the vinegar won't absorb any
more. IIRC, you wind up with a weak solution of hydrochloric acid.

Just be sure to oil or wax the tool as soon as you remove it from its
soak and dry it off. Otherwise new rust will start forming almost
instantly.

Every time one of these "how to remove rust" threads comes up, it's the
same old run-around. I see everybody posting about WD-40 and a
scotchbrite pad and "a few hours later," or Evaporust "only takes a few
hours," and the same thing with naval jelly.

Then someone comes in and says, "why not just get Boeshield Rust Free
and be done in minutes instead of hours." But people, for whatever
reason, still seem to want to go the rub-n-scrub route, like the elbow
grease makes them feel better for letting the tools get rusty. A rust
penitence of sort. :-)

I'm guessing Naval Jelly is the one thing that comes close because it
also has Phosphoric Acid.

This is the last rust removal thread I'll post in.
You can lead a horse to water...

I just noticed some surface rust on the business surfaces of my Biesemeyer TS
fence tube. I just sprayed them with a little Boeshield and it wiped right
off. I can still see where it was, I suppose because it pitted the surface a
little. I might do the table after it cools off a little this evening.