Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default A Prognostication

On 7/31/2011 8:37 AM, Leon wrote:
On 7/31/2011 7:38 AM, Tom B wrote:

"Steve Turner" wrote in message ...

On 7/29/2011 10:22 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Tom B wrote:

snip

What cracks me up is when people compare the average salary of our
congressmen
to that of the average insert downtrodden member of society here and,
noting
the "huge" disparity, conclude that "I think we know where the problem
lies!"
As if adjusting the salaries of a few hundred congressmen is somehow
going to
reclaim enough taxpayer money to fix our economy... The amount of taxpayer
money recovered by making their salaries "fair" would be a drop in the
ocean
compared to where they're spending the rest of it.

I don't so much read the salary comparison of our government leaders to the
average wage earner as being the problem. I don't think any one believes the
salaries of the government positions as being what keeps the debt going in the
wrong direction.

There are a lot of stupid people that believe a lot of stupid stuff, but your
point speaks to something different than what I was talking about. I've seen
scads of replies to online new stories, emails, and Facebook posts circulated
that illustrate nothing more than shallow envy and jealousy of the salary and
perks enjoyed by our congressmen. I'd have no problem if congress suddenly
decided to adjust their own compensation and benefits to be more on par with
that of the average citizen, but I don't fool myself into thinking that all our
problems would be magically solved once that happens. The stupid people would
just be forced to direct their ire and jealousy to some other situation that
isn't "fair" and point the blame there instead.

I do believe that all of those government people that are receiving those large
salaries are in way over their heads and if they were working in a non
government job they would probably qualify for a salary similar to a salary
that a greater at WalMart would get.

If we got what we paid for we would be in a lot better shape.

Agreed.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.