Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default A Prognostication

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote
I don't so much read the salary comparison of our government leaders
to the average wage earner as being the problem. I don't think any
one believes the salaries of the government positions as being what
keeps the debt going in the wrong direction.

I do believe that all of those government people that are receiving
those large salaries are in way over their heads and if they were
working in a non government job they would probably qualify for a
salary similar to a salary that a greater at WalMart would get.

If we got what we paid for we would be in a lot better shape.

I have to wonder if we need as many government employees though. Used
to be for every 10 private employees, there was one government. Now
it is 4 to 1.

I don't know about the feds, but our state (CT) is top heavy. Private
industry has a ration of 7 workers to 1 supervisor. Our state has a 4
to 1 ratio.

My guess is that if the average citizen had the line item veto on the
budget, it would be cut by a minimum of 50%.

I hear that. Much of this is due to regulations. Before I retired, I
had to fulfill all these ethical and safety requirements. Not only did
they take days to do, and changed every 3 months, they also required
administrative personnel to keep records and file reports. Of course,
the jury is out on whether all this made things safer and prevented real
abuse and data manipulation in the medical research fields like mine. It
ALWAYS seemed to me that the penalties for real wrongdoing were to minute
to deter anyone bent on bending the rules. As I have mentioned before, a
good guy in the research administration of my VA complained that he
wasn't really doing the job anymore, because 75-85% of his time was taken
with checking "compliance".

--
Best regards
Han