Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Cleaning rust off Stanley #15 plane

On 7/30/2011 1:08 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Every time one of these "how to remove rust" threads comes up, it's the
same old run-around. I see everybody posting about WD-40 and a
scotchbrite pad and "a few hours later," or Evaporust "only takes a few
hours," and the same thing with naval jelly.

Then someone comes in and says, "why not just get Boeshield Rust Free
and be done in minutes instead of hours." But people, for whatever
reason, still seem to want to go the rub-n-scrub route, like the elbow
grease makes them feel better for letting the tools get rusty. A rust
penitence of sort. :-)

I'm guessing Naval Jelly is the one thing that comes close because it
also has Phosphoric Acid.

I never used Boeshield but naval jelly has been around forever. It
works great, but I'm open to suggestions, so someday might try Boeshield
on your recommendation. If I do, I'll certainly let everyone know my
thoughts next time the subject comes up. I'd love to hear comparisons,
wouldn't you?

This is the last rust removal thread I'll post in.
You can lead a horse to water...

Thing is, there are new horses and new water holes all the time. People
are not born with infinite knowledge and you never know when you might
learn something. I learned Evaporust was worthless, I tried it, it
sucks the big one. I don't mind sharing what I've learned, or learning
what someone else learned. What amazes me is that someone would claim
Evaporust had value, unless his hand was in an Evaporust pocket?

If you think Boeshield is good, there is no reason to stop mentioning it
when the subject comes up. Myself, I think Evaporust is worthless
enough to mention it every time someone touts it.

--
Jack
Got Change: And the Change SUCKS!