Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Cleaning rust off Stanley #15 plane

On 7/31/2011 3:13 AM, bw wrote:

Nice, I've been restoring old tools, engines, farm equipment for a long
time. I rarely use naval jelly anymore, I have a 8 inch diameter course wire
brush in a bench motor running 1800 rpm and use that 99 percent of the time
on everything. Works perfectly.

Yes, I have exactly the same thing on an old 1800 rpm washing machine
motor. I use a fairly soft wire wheel and I use it on everything small
enough to hold to the wheel. On a hand plane with light rust, that is
what I would use.

Naval jelly is rarely needed but it seems to store forever. I've had
some on the shelf for around 15 years, and just the other day used it to
clean some heavy rust off the bottom plate of a hand truck that was
heavily rusted. Worked great and easily.

At any rate, Evaporust, imo, is next to worthless.

--
Jack
Got Change: Global Warming ====== Global Fraud!