Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default Cleaning rust off Stanley #15 plane

I went "shopping" in my Dad's garage again. I have a sticky door at
home and figured I could use a plane to shave it down a hair. The
plane hasn't been used in a long time and has a little surface rust. I
was thinking about scotch-brite, steel wool, maybe noxon. Any better
ideas?

Evaporust runs $20/gallon from Tractor Supply. I'm on my second gallon even
though it is reusable. I strongly suggest you keep it in a tightly sealed
container when in use, just so some clumsy oaf can't stumble over it causing a
sudden fall and of course spilling every drop of the elixir. Happened to a guy
who lives near me.
Regards,
Roy

I second the Evaporust. I used it on two Stanley planes and it worked
perfectly. Took only a few hours to clean everything and it evens
leaves a protective coating to prevent rust, although only a
short-term coating (6-8 weeks depending on handling).

I've used Evaporust on several old and new items and can't imagine
cleaning rust, especially heavy rust, any other way.

Good luck!