Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Prognostication

DGDevin wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

This goes to the heart of what is wrong with American politics
today. It is no longer enough to claim the other side is wrong,
they have to be wicked as well and actively working to damage the
nation and harm its people. Is it any wonder compromise fails when
politics is practiced in a manner that requires painting the other
side as heretics?

Well - in a controversial world, it has always been that way.

It hasn't always been that way, there was a time when members of
Congress from different parties were friends who respected each other
and could work together, they didn't assume the R or the D after the
other guy's name was proof of incompetence and corruption.

I don't think there is any difference in how Congressmen work today than
there ever was. Yeah - there's more rhetoric today, but that's a reflection
of technology making that possible.

The problem is that we are now inundated with too many idiots who
feel a false sense of obligation and remorse for the very things
that have made this nation great. For some reason they feel it is
wrong to work hard and be successful - wrong to be the unique model
for how good things could be for those living under worse conditions.

And of course you can quote Mr. Obama expounding on how wrong it is
to work hard and become successful, sure you can. No doubt you can
also demonstrate in convincing terms how no other nation has advanced
science and industry and economics and politics to provide a better
standard of living for its people, clearly America is, as you say,
unique in that respect.

That's not the way I was using the term. I don't believe you'd argue that
the United States had risen to a very unique position in the world. I have
no idea where you gathered all of the rest of your steam though. I never
mentioned the things you just introduced.

Oh sure, some of those smelly foreigners
will point to their superior schools and longer life expectancy and
so on as if that means something, but run a carrier battle group up
and down their coastline a few times and they get the message.

Smelly foreigners is your term. I never introduced, implied it, or
entertained it.

--

-Mike-