Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default O/T: A Prognostication

On 7/29/2011 2:14 PM, busbus wrote:
On Jul 29, 12:12 am, "Lew wrote:
The Congress will not pass a bill to raise the federal debt by
08/02/2011.

As a result, President Obama will execute an executive order to raise
the federal debt on 08/02/2011 per terms of the 14th amendment.

Obama will not allow default to happen.

Lew

I shouldn't do this but.....

I happened to find a link that shows the breakdown of the federal
Budget proposal for 2012. It doesn’t go deep enough and I need to
look at things on a higher level than I wanted but it gave me enough
insight that I wanted to puke. After I read this, I have been
thinking about these things and mo

1. The first place we need to cut is our defense budget.

Q. Why have so many National Guard units been called to active duty
over the past several decades?
A. Because the federal military budget is not large enough for the
Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force to fulfill their missions.

3. We need to start seriously looking at entitlements. Why should
Warren Buffett get Social Security or be allowed to sign up for
Medicare?

Do you have any evidence that Warren Buffett is collecting SS, or using
Medicare? I dunno, but I rather suspect most ultra-wealthy do not
participate because they can afford not to, and it's not worth the
hassle for them.

There are literally generations of people in the same family who have
never had a paying job—they have lived off the rest of us. I say stop
it. No more. My plan is not to pull the rug out from underneath them
because you would literally have violence. It needs to be a phased
approach and we would have to kick up the giving before we take it
away. My plan would be to train these people in whatever they want.
If they want to be a plumber, go for it. If they want to be an
accountant, go at it. If they want to be a hairdresser, so be it. We
will pay them to go to a trade school or college or whatever. We will
help them with child care and medical and living expenses until they
get their degree or certificate. We will buy them clothes to wear on
interviews and even give them low interest loans to open a business.
We will train them on how to take interviews. We will do whatever…but
there WILL be an end to it. I say 6-12 months after “graduation,”
they will be knocked off the public relief roles. There is nothing
like an empty stomach that will make somebody work.

I agree with the concept, BUT, in our present economy and high
unemployment rates, do you really expect that newly trained plumbers,
hairdressers etc. will be able to find unemployment when even
experienced workers cannot? Your solution would have to address that
problem. One alternative would be that instead of unearned welfare
benefits, they would have to work for the government, mowing lawns,
cleaning toilets, picking up litter, whatever, at 75% of the minimum
wage rate. They could either do that, or go out and get a private
sector job, but they couldn't simply sit at home watching TV on the
government dole.