Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default O/T: A Prognostication

SconnieRoadie wrote:

2. There will be a viable third party candidate in 012. Like Perot,
he or she will not win, despite offering a valid, unbeholden to
historic promises approach to solving our current and longstanding
issues.

There is no such thing as a "viable" third-party candidate. The closest
we've ever come to that was when Teddy Roosevelt ran as the "Bull Moose"
candidate. His candidacy cost Howard Taft the election and handed the
presidency to Woodrow Wilson (arguably the most venal president we've EVER
had).

Third party candidates take votes away from the major party candidate to
which they are closest. If Al Gore decides to run as a 3rd party candidate,
he'll take votes away from Obama. If Ron Paul decides to run, he'll take
votes from Rick Perry.

What would be fun is if BOTH Gore and Paul decided to run!