Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default OT - George Bush + others

dadiOH wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:37:39 -0700, DGDevin wrote:

What we need
is another purge of the party similar to what Wm. F. Buckley, Jr. and
others staged when they pushed out the Birchers, because lately the
right-wingnuts seem happy to steer the Republican Party straight to
Crazytown.

That's certainly a step in the right direction, but I'm coming to the
conclusion that we need to purge both parties. Actually the word I'm
looking for isn't "purge" it's "replace".

But as long as politicians are concerned about re-election and
campaign funding, things won't change much. I keep coming back to
the idea of drawing names out of a hat, giving them 6 weeks of free
air time to present their views, and limiting them to one term. Not
a snowball's chance in hell, but it might well work better than what
we've got now.

I agree and have been advocating it for at least 30 years.

Even if a politician is honest, caring, wants to do a good job he still has
to get elected and that takes cash. Cash = favors and favors (aka "special
interests") are at the heart of our problem. Would we get worse politicians
if they weren't elected? I really doubt it.

PS - no pension either

Good idea. Take away some of the perks and see who is really interested
in "serving". Some people (e.g. Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, other
retirees, etc.) would probably take a turn. This reduces the incentive
to be a "career politician". Whoever said "public service" was supposed
to come with a lot of $$$? What do they pay jurors?
BTW, notice that our society does have people willing to serve as jurors
(or in the military) when their service is requested..

Bill