Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Removing Rust

Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 22:25:07 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

I need to polish the rust off of a few joystick shafts I have and I'm
not sure what kind of steel the shafts are made of.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...JoysticksB.jpg

I tried Nver-Dull, but it didn't seem to do much.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, new York.

look up electrolytic de rusting.Been discussed here several times.

And it works a treat!

The picture shows some pretty minor oxidation, though.
I would chuck them in the drill press at *low
RPM* and use strips of 'shop roll' starting at
relatively coarse and continuing with finer grits:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=337-1069

.... and finish at 'maximum shiny' after a few
thousand revolutions with crocus cloth:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=337-1066

Just hold the ends of say 24" of the strip
between thumbs and forefingers. If it snags
on the work, it will snap out of your fingers
without pulling you into the tool.

--Winston