Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Del Rosso[_4_] Tom Del Rosso[_4_] is offline

Default It's time to again restrict voting rights to property owners only.

Lawrence G. Holmes wrote:
Non-property owners have no vested interest to ensure quality
representation is maintained in Congress.

They sure do. I do and I'm not a property owner. They have LESS vested
interest. NOT none at all.

Why should a welfare thug, ghetto drug dealer, illegal immigrant or
felon have any say what-so-ever in the conduct of government?

There is a pretty big gap between them and property owners.

Return voting rights to property owners only.

But I do hear you.

People sometimes say that we were lucky to have the Founding Fathers
collected together. Other nations have been lucky to have one such man, and
they see him as a hero. We had a couple of dozen great ones at the same
time.

But they are wrong to say we were lucky. It wasn't luck. Those men were
deliberately chosen by voters. If the voters had included every beggar,
it's quite unlikely they would have made the same choices.

People today have a few good choices in every Primary season, and the best
are almost always the first to be ejected from the race.

People are morons. They think we have Democracy because the people know
best. It pleases their egos to think so. They also vote for the sake of
satisfying their egos.

The reason for Democracy is to protect freedom, because freedom to make
choices is more important than making the right choices. Therefore we have
Democracy in spite of the fact that the people don't know best. But people
don't want to hear that that's the reason.

When they vote they don't keep in mind that they are supposed to be voting
to protect their freedom. George Lukas said he had his Galactic Empire
voted in because he wanted to examine why people vote away their freedom,
but the reason is simple. They don't recall that they are supposed to be
protecting it.

So maybe it just doesn't work. People vote under the fallacious belief that
we have Democracy because it works, and in so doing they ensure it won't
work.

Property owners would do better, I'm certain, but only because they're
smarter. The average slob would be at least a little bit smarter if he
wasn't encouraged to think he knows best, and if he was frequently reminded
why he really has Democracy from kindergarten through his whole life. He
might even be smart enough, if that was done.

zero, and remove the last word.