Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Colored SS

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

Years ago I knew of colored SS, for strictly cosmetic
architectural/decorative purposes.

To my surprise, in one of the boatloads of HSN/QVC deliveries to my
house, Wolfgang ****'s cookware arrived, in colored SS. And she already
had one, in service for quite a while, that I just assumed was that
typical heavy enamel on cookware.

So the Q is, is this really colored SS, as in coloring of the surface
metal itself, or is he calling plain ole enameled SS "colored SS"?

I spose I could scratch/grind one of these pots, but then I would be
killed.....

Outside of enameling, what process would be used to color SS, durably or
not?

Could it be anodized? Would that hold up to the heat?

Can you color-anodize SS? Anodize it at all?

As I looked more closely at Wofgang P****'s ditties, it's now clear that
it's just some kind of enamel, and not a particularly robust enamel, like
what you see on tea kettles, etc. Could be just powder metal coating, proly
is.

His use of the phrase "colored SS" got me going in another direction, I
spose.

Actual colored SS is quite highly polished, reflective, really neat, but
proly not durable.
--
EA