Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Checkin' in as requested

Don Foreman on Tue, 02 Aug 2011
03:34:24 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Lake Minnewaska is higher than most have ever seen it. My good
neighbor Scott called me on Friday to tell me that my boat was
floating off the lift. I had a wedding to attend on Saturday (not
mine) but weather was benign so I figured I was OK going up Sunday and
that proved to be true. I was going to trailer up my boat and then
lash the dock decking down against waves. Weather in MN never stays
benign for long.

Turned out my good neighbors on the other side were up, so we had a
hell of a good time socializing -- and I did get my boat off the lift
and trailered up.

There was a storm early Sunday morning. I pretty much slept thru it.
I had a window open and got rained on, so I closed the window and went
to a dry bed on the other side of the cabin to finish sleeping. It
ain't like there's never been a thunderstorm before.

Turns out it was quite a storm I slept thru other than to shut the
window and move to a dry bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSQKPceBFqU

My dock got disassembled by high water and big waves, so did Ted's.
We managed to retrieve all of the parts of both his and my dock,
working together in the lake up to our necks at times. Inconvenient
to be sure, but no significant harm done. We were lucky. I'm sure
glad my boat was safely trailered the day before.

We got off easy. Ted had some tree damage that will need professional
attention, but no big deal. On the south side of the lake there were
lift canopies ripped, lifts and boats and docks flipped, damaged
boats left in damaged trees. State Hwy 28 was under water by the
fairground in Glenwood.

As someone said in the video "firewood" Although I'm always
inclined to see if boards can be salvaged - even if that is more of a
project than I want to get into.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!