Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Bearing properties of glass-filled nylon

wrote:

The only issue I can see with Nylon in that application is Nylon is
Hygroscopic - it attracts and absorbs moisture to some degree - so
make sure you provide ADEQUATE clearance for expansion. Glas filled
should wear very well in that application - just make sure cooling is
adequate as well as the clearance.

I have actually been told that this proved to be a problem at times. I'm
trying to trace the history of this product, and have been told various
things about the plastic: that it was thermally moulded, that it was
special nylon with a low coefficient of friction, that it was
hygroscopic, and lastly that it was glass-filled nylon. I've been told
these things by different people, and am trying to figure out the truth.
The glass-filled nylon part I had doubts about.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Chris