Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Trepanning Tool

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 17:03:56 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

BTW if I farmed this out to a local shop for plasma cutting it would
cost me $6 per disc. Cutting the same disc with a jeweler's saw costs
1 hour, 2 blades and a sore shoulder.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Greetings Michael,
Trepanning the steel would work well if you have a rigid setup and a
slow enough speed. Hole saws don't have much room for chip evacuation,
so you need to keep pulling the saw out of the hole to clear chips.

Set your saw and turn it on, lowering it to the work. Now you have a
scratch of the diameter of the saw.

Now take a drill motor and drill a hole in that scratch. This hole now
lets the chips fall through as the saw turns and cuts away the metal.

If you measure the radius..you can drill the chip hole and the pilot
hole at the same time and do this as many times as necessary for all the
holes you are making.

It helps tremendiously to save the saw, to make the cutting go faster
and so forth.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.