Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning a dirty Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper

On 2011-07-31, Ignoramus11951 wrote:
I have a 8 inch Digimatic caliper that is extremely dirty. I want to
clean it, but at the same time I do not want to ruin it (like I would
with compressed air). So, what would you say is a good way to clean it
from grime etc.

What kind of grime? The first thing that I would try is to see
whether a spritzing with WD-40 and a good rubdown would clean it up.
After that, rub off as much of the WD-40 as you can, as it gums things
up as it ages.

If you have to use a water-based solvent (say it is gummed up
water based coolant), I would suggest removing the battery or batteries,
closing up the battery compartment, and cleaning with a hot damp rag,
then drying it well and letting it sit for 24 hours (with the battery
case open again) before putting in batteries.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564