Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Naphtha, bad news, good news

Winston wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

(...)

It got them perfectly clean. Only Chlorsolv seemed to do a better job,
but it was pretty rough on livers.

Back when I took my QQS NASA soldering course too many years
ago, we did clean the joints with alcohol and they were quite
reliable; no sticky residue. The alcohol that I can get these
days does not seem to be quite as 'clean' though.
I didn't figure out it was 'solvent pollution' until almost
too late.

I recall using TFE Fluorcarbon in a heated spray tank many moons
ago. That stuff was effective as all getout! The vapor in the
tank left my hands completely oil - free. Eww! Chalky Fingers!

The thing that surprised me about the vapor degreaser was that
when the vapor condenses on your skin, it's HOT! =:-O

Cheers!
Rich