Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Naphtha, bad news, good news

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Winston
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

(...)

Southern California air quality regulations have no effect on what
retailers
are allowed to sell in Indianapolis.

Not instantly. Eventually, probably.

Highly unlikely. You folks on the coasts, especially on the Left Coast,
often
fail to realize that your local experiences and conditions are *not*
typical
of America as a whole. Things are very different in the Midwest.

Yeah. That's why we have national standards on things like power plant
emissions. For decades you just pumped it into the sky and forgot it.
Meantime, we got the acid rain, the dead fish, and the sterile lakes and
ponds. People in the Midwest kicked and screamed about having to scrub the
sulfur out of their stack gasses, from burning their cheap coal.

Three factors combine to produce SoCal's air quality regulations; all of
them
are absent in Indianapolis:

SoCal's air-quality regulations are the result of a set of geographical and
atmospheric conditions that turned the L.A. Basin into a killing jar for
humans.

1. California is a nanny state; Indiana is not, and is unlikely to become
one
any time soon.

Your state motto should be "What, me worry?"

Once the crap goes up, who cares where it comes down?

2. SoCal has an extremely high population density; Indiana does not. Los
Angeles County alone has nearly 50% more people than the entire state of
Indiana, and more than ten times as many as Marion County (Indianapolis),
the
most populous county in Indiana. We simply don't have anywhere near as
many
people to generate pollution as you have, and it's going to be centuries,
at
least, before we do.

3.SoCal also has a mountain range immediately east of its major population
centers, which impedes the dispersal by wind of the pollutants generated
by
the tens of millions of people living there. We don't have that problem.

Besides, it blows east...

I thought you said it was because it's a nanny state?

--
Ed Huntress