Default Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets

I went through this 50 years ago. Had finished the bare cabinets with
oil based paint then ex wanted natural looking pine instead of paint.
Took doors & drawers to garage to sand to bare wood and sanded cases
in place. Used gloss varnish to let grain show. Found sanding dust
in back corner of clothes closet diagonally across the floorplan 6
months later. Get sheet plastic to close off kitchen as much as
possible, will merely slow the migration of sanding dust. Block all
doors with the plastic.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:37:43 -0700, "FE"
wrote:

* Structurally, these cabinets appear to be in OK condition.
* I can't say for sure, but it looks like the cabinets have been painted
more than once, one
coat(s) on top of the other. I say this because they kind of have the
appearance of
paint-build-up. The overall effect of this is that they look cheap and
dull.

If anyone has worked with a similar experience, please tell me what you did,
how much time it took, how happy you were with the results, and whether I'd
be better off paying someone else to do it. Thanks!