Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_2_] Sunworshipper[_2_] is offline

Default Naphtha, bad news, good news

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:59:50 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley
in . 3.70:

Among other things, "miscible" means able to mix in _any_ proportions
and stay mixed; not just "blended" like oil and vinegar salad
dressing.

Just looked at a miscibility predictor chart -- based upon relative
polarities of the two solvents, ethanol and Naphtha are not predicted to be
miscible. And it stands to reason, as ethanol is strongly polar, and
naphtha strongly non-polar. (and water is polar, and oil not...)

Polarity eh?

I was poking about on the web, but didn't know how to ask the question.

This is interesting.

Thanks!

--Winston

Chemistry looks like fun, never had a good enough memory to learn it
from a book. I did run into that polarity stuff recently while trying
to figure out chlorine and hydrogen attraction. Still can't figure a
comparison from bubbling many inert gases through molten aluminum or
use chlorine and make toxic gas in the process. A MIT guy said to go
straight to the chlorine.

BTW, I found $1,200 under a mat in my tool box once and have only a
vague memory of something I was about to buy 3-5 years in the past.

SW