Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Naphtha, bad news, good news

"Ed Huntress" fired this volley in
:

But I have some methanol.

Methanol, not normally available to "hardware store shoppers" will
commingle with naphtha to a degree more than ethanol, but not a lot.
Ethanol only in tiny amounts. The alcohols available to the average
shopper are ethanol (as denatured alcohol) and isopropyl (rubbing
alcohol).
Isobutyl ain't one of 'em.

Among other things, "miscible" means able to mix in _any_ proportions and
stay mixed; not just "blended" like oil and vinegar salad dressing.

You mentioned ethanol in gasoline. E10 undergoes separation of the
alcohol and gas if allowed to sit.

I'm sure a shaken-up blend of naphtha and alcohol might benefit removing
flux residues, but I'll be a good wash with _clean_ alcohol after the
first scrubbing would do just as good a job. I worked in the electronics
maintenance and repair business for years (OEM regional computer service
center manager), and we kept two sets of brushes, and two containers of
alcohol (denatured) for cleaning flux off printed circuit boards. First
a good sluicing and washing with the "dirty" bottle, then a separate
rinsing scrub with clean alcohol. Anything from that rinse that went
into the basin went back into the dirty bottle.

It got them perfectly clean. Only Chlorsolv seemed to do a better job,
but it was pretty rough on livers.

LLoyd