Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Drilling Alignment Problem

xpzzzz wrote in :

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:48:38 +0000, Doug White wrote:

I must not have described it clearly enough. The holes are
perpendicular to the pipe, so I don't need to rotate the axis of the
pipe in any odd direction. I just need to ensure that when I clamp

the
pipe in the V-jaw that the 45 degree cut is facing up, and not tilted
slightly one way or the other.

Drill all the holes first, use them to index your 45 degree cuts.

...next time...

Yup. I figured that one out just about when I cut the last one...

As it turns out, I had a piece of pipe JUST long enough so that I could
get all the sections I need, but ONLY if I made the 45 degree cuts to
separate them. If I cut them square to separate & drill before beveling
the ends, I would have had to go buy more pipe. I probably could have
done them in pairs cut with the ends square, drilled them, and then
separated them at 45 degrees.

Live & learn...

Doug White