FE

Default Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets

Good morning,
I have questions about re-finishing kitchen cabinets. I have looked over a
Black & Decker
home repair-type book, and, after further study, I think I'll be able to get
the basic steps
down. I'm going to put all new hardware on the cabinets after refinishing.

I have a bit of a fear that it will take FOREVER, then the improvement won't
be that
great. I do have a hope, however: Several years ago, my wife bought a
little Fiero. It's exterior looked TERRIBLE -- fading paint, large patches
of paint gone. We took it to Maaco and you would not believe the
transformation this little car made. It was turned into a VERY, VERY sharp
looking car (it was not cheap to have Maaco fix it up, I might add).
Anyway, here are a couple of details on the cabinets:

* Structurally, these cabinets appear to be in OK condition.
* I can't say for sure, but it looks like the cabinets have been painted
more than once, one
coat(s) on top of the other. I say this because they kind of have the
appearance of
paint-build-up. The overall effect of this is that they look cheap and
dull.

If anyone has worked with a similar experience, please tell me what you did,
how much time it took, how happy you were with the results, and whether I'd
be better off paying someone else to do it. Thanks!