Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gib Bogle[_3_] Gib Bogle[_3_] is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton 4-stroke mower

On 5/08/2011 8:55 a.m., The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:
To wrap this up: my trusty, incredibly simple, old B&S is now trusty
again. I thoroughly cleaned the carb and tank, changed the oil, and
then did the lawn with no sudden conking out. There was no obvious
problem anywhere - no water in the oil or petrol, little sediment in
the tank - but whatever it was it seems to be fixed. I didn't need to
check the points, but should take a look some time. Thanks for all the
advice and interesting comments.

Classic bit of grit in the carb behaviour ....

fit fuel filter?

Where? The carb is bolted on the top of the petrol tank. A tube sticks
down into the petrol. It has a gauze filter on the end.