Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Linux DVB and digital switchover in the UK

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
Dave N wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote, on 02/08/2011 11:16:
Dave N wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote, on 01/08/2011 20:37:
Mark Williams wrote:
The Natural Philosopher writes:

For those of you who run TV cards on Linux in the UK..and are having
trouble retuning using 'scan' because the transmitter files that come
with the standard distros of dvb utilities don't work any more, here
is the way to sort out how to patch them

[...]

Hope this helps anyone else struggling to retune - several times - in
the mass switchover being undertaken this year.

Or use `w_scan'
(URL:http://wirbel.htpc-forum.de/w_scan/index2.html),
thus avoiding the need for the initial tuning files?

If I read German, I might...

Unfortunately you seem to have missed the link to English text, shown
in large letters at the top of the quoted URL page. The download link
and changelog are only available on the German page as is explained by
the English text, however, but they are obvious.

The given examples make this utility seem potentially very helpful,
but requires compilation from source code. I haven't used it myself so
I cannot comment on its effectiveness.

downloaded and compiled OK..seems to be a pretty good tool...running a
scan now..

Hmm. Nope. Its all over the feckin place. Half the channels are missing
and the rest are on frequencies I dont recognise.

Doesn't seem to cope with the offset channels at all.

Pity but, as you say, the software will eventually catch-up I hope. Is
it a peculiarity of the UK adopted system causing these complications?

I think the Great Digital Switchover is proving to be the Great Digital
Cockup actually.

Well with the number of channels that have to be shunted around its done
quite well really. The alternative is to make everyone go satellite or
shut the terrestrial network down for a few weeks but can you just
imagine the riots if the nation were deprived of Corrie for a few
episodes and what ever might happen to the birth-rate;?...

These offset channels are simply abominations if you aren't expecting
them..and it seems taht even when you are thins dot go right.

They have as line-offsets been around for a very many years. If the
software can't cope then blame the designer/writer!...

scan got two sets of answers, one for the channel, one for the offset
channel, at first. I deleted the wrong duplicates..

Eye-TV got two sets, and deleted the wrong set, and needed to be
manually rescanned on the exact frequency. Or it said 'no signal'

the SONY STB works, except as noted the radio stations stop working
after a few seconds. Not sure why, except the presence of video info
seems to confuse it..sigh..

It seems to be a combination of 'whatever works today, use it'

Duff s/w package perhaps?. We've got a few PCI type satellite receivers
here and the odd software update is quite welcome sometimes ..

--
Tony Sayer