Posted to uk.d-i-y
Londonman Londonman is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton 4-stroke mower

It'll stop dead as it's under load of sorts.
Electrically, as you say they are simple and if it was an electrical issue
you would have trouble starting every time.
Check the carb hasn't come adrift slightly and is sucking air, other than
that it's getting tired.
Local mower shop or Ebay source a carb repair kit strip and sort it. (Item
190556871460 might do the job but you will have to ask them about your model
or search for a kit for yours etc)
Also source a new air filter and a can of carb cleaner spray and don't prod
around with bits of wire in any ports or jets.
Change the plug and the oil at the same time. If the plug is fairly black
suspect piston rings, but that's usually after many years of use.

I used to look after a small fleet of these little buggers with several
el'cheapo makes of two smoke as well which revved like a bugger when the
field teams played with them during an 8 hour day.
All a much of a muchness really to look after.

My trusty old mower is no longer trusty. It starts OK, and runs for a
couple of circuits of the lawn, then stops dead. The stop is so sudden
it almost seems electrical, but in other respects it's as if the fuel in
the carburettor float chamber has been used up and not replenished - but
of course there is no float chamber, and the fuel system looks
childishly simple. The electrics are so simple - no moving parts except
the magneto - that it's hard to see what could go wrong there either.
Maybe there is something about the fuel system that I don't understand.
I've taken all the fuel-related bits off, and when I feel inspired
I'll take them apart and clean everything. Meanwhile, perhaps someone
with experience can suggest what I should be looking for. The sparkplug
is new, by the way. It does look rather sooty, but not at the business
end (close to the gap).