Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chainsaw oil

dennis@home wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Jul 26, 3:17 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/07/2011 12:00, ARWadsworth wrote:

Are they all the same?
Or is there a bog standard oil I can use instead?
The chainsaw oils are anti "fling", non toxic and some are bio
degradable (the latter you need to remember not to leave in the tank
over the winter since they can gum up).

I often put dishwashing detergent on my bike chain, then after a few
shopping trips, rinse it under the hose. I like having a nice clean
chain. So far it works fine.

Anti fling is OK if you remember the stuff is immediately replaced
anyway. You are only making a small saving having the slow flow
through. I'd prefer to know I was getting a wet runner and maybe some
oil flung onto the chain.

But even if I wasn't using diesel I'd only use car engine oil, event
the cheapo rock oil variety if it still available.

All oil is bio degradeable. Remember how little damage was done in the
Gulf of Mexico last year when some yanks fecked up the drill site and
blamed their customer?

er no.. that oil was emulsified with detergent.

Unlikely, detergent is a worse pollutant than the oil.
They may have used some to clean the beeches but the yanks are a bit
silly.

Oh dear oh dear. Yet more ignorance from 'Our Dennis'

http://www.gcrc.uga.edu/PDFs/SA_SG_o...it2_report.pdf

Thanks for posting that document to prove I was correct.
As it shows they did not use detergents on the oil slicks.
You really should read what you link to.

Wakes up
As should you:-

"The way in which the oil was released was compared to the ejection
of liquid from an aerosol can, and the group speculated that this,
together with the injection of dispersants at the well-head (more
below)......."

And:-
"1.84 million gallons of dispersant were used in the Gulf of Mexico to
address the DH leak. Of
this, *the majority (1 million gallons) was applied at the surface*
(JIC-DHUC 2010).
Fluorescence studies suggest that oil in the top 30 feet is being
affected by surface application of
dispersant (Coastal Response Research Center 2010). As described above,
the deep-water oil
plumes that have been observed in the Gulf of Mexico are thought to be
comprised of microparticles
released under great pressure from the well site. The large deep-sea
application of
dispersant is unprecedented. It is likely that the under water
application of dispersant has greatly
contributed to the formation of micro-droplets, as the dispersant also
acts to stabilize particles or
droplets suspended in water."

My emphasis......

The dispersants may not all have been sprayed on the slick, but *were*
added to the waterborne stream. They were also used on the affected
shoreline and wildlife.
Goes back to sleep

--
Tciao for Now!